Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Global Reading Challenge update

Rather than slavishly work towards the 2010 Global Reading Challenge, I thought I'd read as normal over the year and then see where I stood towards the end. The challenge was to read three books per continent. Below is where I stand at present. Basically, I'm missing Antarctica completely and I'm short of a South American book. I've actually got two DNF in that category, one of which I might go back to. So overall, not too bad; I might even manage to complete the challenge.


North America
The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley (USA)
Havana Fever by Leonardo Padura (Cuba)
Dead I May Well Be by Adrian McKinty (USA/Mexico)

Europe
Via Delle Oche by Carlo Lucarelli (Italy)
Roseanna by Maj Sjowall and Pers Wahloo (Sweden)
Brodeck's Report by Phillipe Claudel (France)

Australiasia
Dead Set by Kel Robertson (Australia)
Truth by Peter Temple (Australia)
Vodka Doesn't Freeze by Liah Giarrantano (Australia)

Asia
Shinjuku Shark by Arimasa Osawa (Japan)
Bangkok Tattoo by John Burdett (Thailand)
The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Coterill (Laos)

Africa
A Deadly Trade by Michael Stanley (Botswana)
Instruments of Darkness by Robert Wlison (Benin)
Killer Country by Mike Nicols (South Africa)

South America
The Silence of the Rain by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza (Brazil)
Needle in a Haystack by Ernesto Mallo (Argentina)

4 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

Are you allowed more than one book from the same country in a continent? I am struggling with Australasia as I've read several Australian and a few NZ, but can't get excited about any Polynesian or New Guinea (is that Australasia?) crime fiction.
Like you, I am not going to attempt anything from Antarctica until I find a book I think I'll like!

Dorte H said...

Good luck on your pursuit of Antarctica ;D

I am waiting for my last challenge book, also from Antarctica, and I think I will get through it, but "nevermore" quoth the challenge maven.

Kerrie said...

You can make the rules whatever you like Maxine :-)
I am reading BEAT NOT THE BONES by Charlotte Jay for New Guinea. It did win an award back in the 50s. But I've temporarily been distracted by my other "challenge book" - BAIT by Nick Brownlee set in Kenya (on my Kindle).
And then I'll be finished!

Rob I am impressed that you have almost "accidentally" completed the challenge

Maxine Clarke said...

That's the only one I've seen from outside Aus/NZ, Kerrie (beat not the bones, which Bernadette also reviewed). Is that the only one anyone has found?