Wednesday, November 3, 2010

October reviews

An easy job to pick my book of the month for October - Adrian Hyland's excellent, Gunshot Road. I'm convinced that I've read more than this, this month, but if I have I didn't write a review and I can't remember what else I read. Oh well. Probably student essays that seemed a bit more fictitious than they should have.

Operation Napoleon by Arnaldur Indridason ***
Halo in Blood by John Evans/Howard Browne ****
Wasters by Shane Ross and Nick Webb ***
Needle in a Haystack by Ernesto Mallo ****
Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland *****
Review of The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Coterill ****.5
South of no North by Charles Bukowski ****

1 comment:

kathy d. said...

My only comment:

Yes. I agree. Gunshot Road would have been my favorite book for the month in which I read it. The writing is to be savored like a wonderful dessert, with good tea, a sentence at a time.

Wish Adrian Hyland would be nominated for an important writing prize--one that "transcends the genre"--although the genre transcends the genre as far as I'm concerned--very often.

Can't wait for book three.