Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The kindness of strangers

Last week I posted on the Friendfeed Crime and Mystery Room that I was trying to buy Leif Davidsen's The Serbian Dane. The cheapest copy I could find on the Internet, either new or secondhand, was £18 (a little steep for a book only published in 2007). A couple of days later, I was contacted by a Friendfeed reader who said he'd just seen the book in his local charity bookshop and offered to buy it and post it to me for cost. The power of the internet at work. The book arrived this morning, and my two novels and a cheque will head back the other way tomorrow. I now have at least one Danish book to read on my trip to Denmark in a couple of weeks time. Many thanks, Tim. Much appreciated.

3 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

What a great story! Another friend feed reader sent me and Norman a load of Martin Beck and Inspector Huss DVDs via his visit to Sweden, where they are sold cheaply. Good thing, that internet.

Dorte H said...

Ah, I think I know who - a stranger who turned into a friend last year.

pattinase (abbott) said...

This has happened to me more than once. The Internet has it strengths.