Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lazy Sunday Service

I've done an awful lot of reading in the last couple of weeks. Of exam scripts and coursework (hence the lack of reviews). I've ten scripts left then I'm done for a while. I took a break from it yesterday and worked my way through a Donald Westlake novel, and let me tell you, it was a pleasant relief. One of the courses I've been marking is 'Geographies of the Crisis' and its fairly depressing to read one essay after another by early twenty-something year old students about how they see and understand the present and immediate future (which largely seems to be emigration). Though I guess that might be marginally preferable to Westlake's alternative which is a life of crime, albeit an amusing one. The painting at the centre of Westlake's novel is Folly Leads Man to Ruin - that seems about right for describing Ireland at the minute. Maybe next time I'll get the students to explain the country through a piece of art. Hopefully that would be easier on the eye than some of their handwriting, but somehow I doubt it.

My posts this week
Seven shots of noir
CIF, Future Housing Supply in Ireland report - one year on
Review of Head Games by Craig McDonald
Unfinished estates in post-Celtic Tiger Ireland
Ghost estates
Embrace the destroyers of your world
She wrecks my head

No comments: